Thursday, September 18, 2008

food in the news: 10 points for Starbucks

Much to my own surprise, I am currently a Starbucks employee.A year or two ago, you would hardly even see me set my feet inside the store, unless I was meeting with friends who liked to hang out there. This was because I was fervently against big corporate giants. However, I am not against Starbucks anymore (I wouldn't be working there if I was, because I'm admittedly pretty prideful). I learned that they have a commitment to corporate social responsibility and the environment and even community involvement. And I dig that.

Check out this morning's story.

Ike-battered Texans find comfort, help over coffee.

A couple things that popped out to me when reading this-

It's true that communities and people grow closer together out of disaster. Strangers talking to each other? Who'd of thunk it.

Speaking of community, I saw a good example of it even at a Starbucks Drive-Thru! I was training in Ashburn the other day, treating a laboriously long line of customers at the drive-thru window, when this one lady in a minivan with children said she was paying also for the car behind her. I was under the assumption that she knew this person and they were just driving in separate vehicles. But when the next woman pulled up, she was reaching for her wallet. I told her the woman in front of her already paid for her, and a look of delicious shock swept her face. "You didn't know her?" I gasped. The woman had no clue who the other woman was, and she offered to pay for the car behind her. Then the man in the car behind her paid for the car behind him. Finally, my manager told me I had to cut this off, that we didn't want to screw with the system too much. I had to spend a moment convincing the lady in the last car of the "pay it forward" spree to do a random kind act later on that day, instead of paying for the car behind her. Who knows how long this would have gone on if I didn't have to cut it off?! People really surprise me sometimes, even in Northern Virginia.

Back to Houston, there is something about food, about coffee or tea that brings people together. It's a common bond. There's something soothing and comforting, and even healing. What is it? Thoughts?

3 comments:

Beth Beck Land said...

Drinking coffee or tea is like being in a club. I think that's what creates the bond. We all have the stories of 'our first cup of coffee' (or what I like to call the beginning of my addiction). You can learn a lot about a person from how they feel about coffee/tea and how they starting drinking it. What is that person's nationality, who does that person value and even if that person is self-concious or not.
My coffee story involves my grandfather (who died when I was 12 - a year after he offered me my first cup of coffee). I cherish coffee now and even though its not great for you, I will probably always drink it because it reminds me of my grandfather.
Coffee/tea is also something, I think, that encourages interaction with others. All you are doing is drinking. This leaves you wide open for talking to others. That's why the number one date request seems to be "Wanna get a cup of coffee with me?"

This is really long, but I do love me some coffee! <3 Great idea for a blog!

Monique said...

first off...now after reading your post and beth's comment i really want coffee..lol

that said I am really shocked that you got that kinda reaction in Ashburn of all places. Thats crazy! but i guess it goes to show you that the world is full of surprises and that there is goodness out there somewhere...miss you!

that girl said...

Beth- how someone started drinking coffee/tea- now that's interesting.

I remember the first time I wanted coffee I was pretty young and was walking in on my parents' home group bible study at my house. I remember getting a good whiff of the coffee, it spurring a curiosity in me- what does this mysterious, good smelling drink tastes like? I kept bugging my mom until she consented to letting me take a sip from her cup. It was near the bottom, and so it was at room temperature. But I didn't care. It was loaded with cream and sugar so I could hardly taste the bitter coffee itself. I just loved how creamy it was.

Connections between community and how we started drinking it- that was in a social setting, a place where people came together to share their hearts. Since then, the only other times my parents would let me drink a little coffee was in social settings (although I would sometimes sneak attack the remainders of their cups in the morning). I was 13 when I first started drinking coffee regularly (but mainly just at events), and some other kid at a church event was amazed I was allowed to drink it because it would stunt my growth. I told them it was too late.

And yes, Monique, I was struck with surprise too. But then again, here's what I think is the difference between Ashburn and Manassas. If that happened in Manassas, the next person would say "how great!" and move on, loving the opp they'd have not to spend a few dollars. But these Ashburn people were quick to shine out their dollar bills and maybe floss their glistening teeth with them. Not saying that this wasn't a nice deed they all did, but they seemed so eager to spend their money!! :)