Tuesday, January 12, 2010

On Fasting

In Isaiah 58:6-9, God tells his people what Godly fasting looks like:

"This is the kind of fast day I'm after:
break the chains of injustice,
get rid of exploitation in the workplace,
free the oppressed, cancel debts.
What I'm interested in seeing you do is:
sharing your food with the hungry,
inviting the homeless poor into your homes,
putting clothes on the shivering ill-clad,
being available to your own families.
Do this and the lights will be turned on,
and your lives will turn around at once.
Your righteousness will pave your way.
The GOD of glory will secure your passage.
Then when you pray, GOD will answer.
You'll call out for help and I'll say, "Here I Am."

My best friend Bekah started a blog for 21 days about fasting. This is a verse she pulled out about the topic. The verse is personally relevant to the needs of the poor in the world. Fasting is not about yourself. Fasting is for others.

I have thought a lot about the sin of gluttony. Synonyms? Over-consumption. Indulgence. Isn't that the American way...isn't that the American foodie way? To place such high importance on gourmet cooking that one forgets about the millions in the world who are starving. I love the ethical food movement and it cannot be something that is simply nutritional and organic, it needs to benefit the needs of others around the world.

That's why I want to reduce the amount of food I consume. That's why I want to cook for others, not just myself. That's why I want to equip people in low-income neighborhoods with the tools to grow and cook their own food.

Let's be mindful of the ways we can bless others for food. Whether it's giving up something, or giving it forward.

Please check out Bekah's blog : fastingforward.blogspot.com

No comments: